Iran, 3-18-25

For today, links to reports from the Cradle and Reuters; others or at least headlines are accessible by clicking on their names below. (WEST BANK, SYRIA, GAZA and UKRAINE entries for this date are HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE, or scroll down. IRAN 3-17-25 entry is HERE, or scroll down.) — MCM

   

FROM MARCH 17  Trump lobs new threats at Iran over Yemen’s pro-Palestine operations. From the Cradle. U.S. President Donald Trump says Iran will be held responsible and face “dire consequences” for any further attacks by Yemen’s Ansarallah-led armed forces on U.S. and Israeli ships in the Red Sea — this after the Yemeni Armed Forces targeted . . . READ MORE . . .

   

Israel’s multiple wars in the Middle East, by Jana Choukeir and Tala Ramadan | Reuters  DUBAI — Israel has been fighting wars on several fronts in the Middle East since the Palestinian militant group Hamas attacked communities in the country in October 2023 and triggered a conflict in Gaza. It has engaged in heavy bombings and assassinated some of its most implacable foes, all backed by Iran. READ MORE . . .

Syria, 3-18-25

For today, links to reports from the Cradle and Reuters; others or at least headlines are accessible by clicking on their names below. (WEST BANK, IRAN, GAZA and UKRAINE entries for this date are HEREHEREHERE and HERE, or scroll up or down.  SYRIA 3-17-25 entry is HERE, or scroll down.) — MCM

   

Syrian security forces violate ceasefire with Lebanon. From the Cradle.  Syrian military forces led by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham have remained in Lebanese territory and are looting homes and property despite a ceasefire agreement aimed at stopping two days of violent border clashes and attacks on Lebanon by Damascus’s forces. READ MORE . . .

   

Israel’s multiple wars in the Middle East, by Jana Choukeir and Tala Ramadan | Reuters  DUBAI — Israel has been fighting wars on several fronts in the Middle East since the Palestinian militant group Hamas attacked communities in the country in October 2023 and triggered a conflict in Gaza. It has engaged in heavy bombings and assassinated some of its most implacable foes, all backed by Iran. READ MORE . . .

.

Gaza, 3-18-25

For today, links to 10 reports: from the Cradle, Reuters, Middle East Monitor, the Associated Prsss, Middle East Eye, and National Public Radio, and to commentary from Consortium News; others or at least headlines are accessible by clicking on their names or initials below. (WEST BANK, IRAN, SYRIA and UKRAINE entries for this date, so far, are HEREHEREHERE and HERE, or scroll up or down.  GAZA 3-17-25 entry is HERE, or scroll down.) — MCM

   

NEWER  Palestinians in Gaza ‘dying every minute’ as Israel intensifies bloodshed. From the Cradle. At least 420 Palestinians have been killed since early this morning, the Gaza Government Media Office said. Over 170 of those killed since the morning are children, while over 100 others are women and elderly, the Gaza Health Ministry said. READ MORE . . .

   

NEWER  Gaza hospitals overwhelmed by hundreds of injured from Israeli barrage, by Nidal al-Mughrabi and Olivia Le Poidevin | Reuters  CAIRO / GENEVA — Israel’s sudden onslaught of air strikes overnight overwhelmed Gaza hospitals already reeling from weeks of an aid blockade, medics and health authorities said today, as ambulances ferried in hundreds of badly injured survivors. READ MORE . . .

    –

Israeli army issues evacuation orders for Palestinians in Gaza as it bombs the enclave. From Middle East Monitor. The Israeli occupation army ordered Palestinian civilians to evacuate several areas in the Gaza Strip today, as the military launched . . .  READ MORE . . .

   

More than 400 Palestinians killed in surprise Israeli airstrikes across Gaza. From AP. Israel launched a wave of airstrikes across the Gaza Strip early Tuesday, saying it was striking dozens of Hamas targets in its heaviest assault on the territory since a ceasefire took effect in January. Hospitals reported more than 400 people killed, including women and children. READ MORE . . .  Click HEREHERE, HERE and HERE for reports from Middle East EyeNPR, the Cradle and Reuters

   

FROM MARCH 16  Hamas has rebuilt forces to over 25,000 fighters: Israeli lawmakers. From the Cradle. A group of Israeli Knesset members said on Sunday that Hamas and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad have “restored their military strength” in Gaza and that the Israeli military has failed to achieve its war goals amid stalled ceasefire negotiations, Israeli newspaper Walla reported. READ MORE . . .

   

Israel’s multiple wars in the Middle East, by Jana Choukeir and Tala Ramadan | Reuters  DUBAI — Israel has been fighting wars on several fronts in the Middle East since the Palestinian militant group Hamas attacked communities in the country in October 2023 and triggered a conflict in Gaza. It has engaged in heavy bombings and assassinated some of its most implacable foes, all backed by Iran. READ MORE . . .

   

FROM MARCH 17  The Zionists within, by Patrick Lawrence | Special to Consortium News  With the Israelis Trump is not floundering. He is picking up just where his genocidal predecessor left off and so getting done exactly . . . READ MORE . . .

.

Ukraine, 3-18-25

For today, links to three reports: from Agence France-Presse, National Public Radio; others or at least headlines are accessible by clicking on their initials below. (WEST BANK, IRAN, SYRIA and GAZA entries for this date, so far, are HEREHEREHERE and HERE.  UKRAINE 3-17-25 entry is HERE, or scroll down.) — MCM

   

Ukrainian drone attacks on Russia injure 6. From AFP. Russia’s Defense Ministry said today that it destroyed 46 Ukrainian drones in overnight attacks, with regional authorities saying six people were injured. READ MORE . . .

   

FROM MARCH 17  Trump and Putin will talk Tuesday about the proposed ceasefire deal in Ukraine. Reported by Charles Maynes | NPR  Russian President Vladimir Putin is expected to set conditions on ceasefire proposal in Tuesday phone call with President Trump. Click HERE to listen and, later, read.

   

FROM MARCH 17  Ukrainians rally around Zelenskyy ahead of Trump’s call with Putin. Reported by Eleanor Beardsley | NPR  Ukrainians are rallying around their president and turning to humor as President Trump prepares for a phone call with Putin. Click HERE to listen and, later, read.

.

Iran, 3-17-25

For today, a link to a report from the Cradle; others are accessible by clicking on its name below. (SYRIA, WEST BANK, LEBANON, GAZA and UKRAINE entries for this date are HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE, or scroll down. IRAN 3-16-25 entry is HERE, or scroll down.) — MCM

   

IRGC chief vows ‘devastating response’ to any US, Israeli attack on Iran. From the Cradle. The commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, Major General Hossein Salami, vowed on Sunday that any attack on the Islamic Republic would be met with a “devastating” response. READ MORE . . .

   

MAY BE CONTINUED

Syria, 3-17-25

For today, links to four reports: from Middle East Eye, the Associated Press, and Reuters; others or at least headlines are accessible by clicking on their names or initials below. (IRAN, WEST BANK, LEBANON, GAZA and UKRAINE entries for this date are HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE, or scroll up or down.  SYRIA 3-16-25 entry is HERE, or scroll down.) — MCM

   

HTS-led Syrian forces clash with Lebanese army on border. From the Cradle. Intense clashes erupted on the Syrian–Lebanese border late on Sunday after Syrian military forces led by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham carried out heavy shelling and launched rockets on Lebanese border towns. READ MORE . . .  Click HERE for report from AP.

   

Syria’s new rulers face likely aid drop at EU conference, by Amina Ismail | Reuters  BRUSSELS — The interim government in Damascus were to take part today in a conference to gather aid pledges for Syria, facing the prospect of diminishing assistance as it struggles with humanitarian and security problems after the fall of Bashar al-Assad. READ MORE . . .

   

FROM MARCH 16  Families of Syrians who disappeared during its civil war say the search must go on, by Kareem Chehayeb and Ghaith Alsayed | AP  DARAA, Syria — Family members of the estimated 130,000 Syrians who disappeared in the country’s 14-year civil war gathered here on Sunday to urge the newly installed interim government to not give up on efforts to find them. READ MORE . . .

.

West Bank, 3-17-25

For today, links to reports from Middle East Eye and the Cradle; others are accessible by clicking on their names below. (IRAN, SYRIA, LEBANON, GAZA and UKRAINE entries for this date are HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE, or scroll up or down. (WEST BANK 3-16-25 entry is HERE, or scroll down.) — MCM

   

Israeli forces to seize land near Jenin in West Bank. From Middle East Eye. Israeli forces have issued orders to seize approximately 12 hectares (30 acres) of land in Jalboun, a town north of Jenin, according to local officials. The mayor of Jalboun, Ibrahim Abu al-Rab, said . . . READ MORE . . .

   

Jenin camp ‘100 percent destroyed’ after two-month Israeli siege. From the Cradle. The Municipality Director of the occupied West Bank’s Jenin, Mamdouh Assaf, said today that the city has been almost completely destroyed by the Israeli siege and assault, which has been ongoing for nearly two months. READ MORE . . .

.

Lebanon, 3-17-25

For today, links to reports from Middle East Eye, the Cradle, and the Associated Press; others are accessible by clicking on their names or initials below. (IRAN, SYRIA, WEST BANK, GAZA and UKRAINE entries for this date are HERE, HEREHEREHERE and HERE, or scroll up or down.  LEBANON 3-16-25 entry is HERE, or scroll down.) — MCM

   

Israeli attacks on Lebanon kill four. From Middle East Eye. Israeli air strikes hit southern Lebanon on Sunday despite a ceasefire, killing four people, according to Lebanese state media and the Health Ministry. READ MORE . . .

   

HTS-led Syrian forces clash with Lebanese army on border. From the Cradle. Intense clashes erupted on the Syrian–Lebanese border late on Sunday after Syrian military forces led by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham carried out heavy shelling and launched rockets on Lebanese border towns. READ MORE . . .  Click HERE for report from AP.

.

Gaza, 3-17-25

For today, links to five reports: from Reuters, the Anadolu Agency, the Associated Press and National Public Radio; others or at least headlines for others are accessible by clicking on their initials below. (IRAN, SYRIA, WEST BANK, LEBANON and UKRAINE entries for this date are HEREHEREHERE, HERE and HERE, or scroll up or down.  GAZA 3-16-25 entry is HERE, or scroll down.) — MCM

   

Israeli airstrike kills three in Gaza, medics say. From Reuters. CAIRO — An Israeli airstrike killed three Palestinian men in the Gaza Strip, medics said today, and there was no sign of progress at renewed ceasefire talks. READ MORE . . .

   

EU foreign policy chief welcomes Arab plan for Gaza reconstruction, by Necva Tastan Sevinc | Anadolu Agency  ISTANBUL — EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas today supported the Arab-led plan to reconstruct Gaza, emphasizing the EU’s commitment to assisting in the region’s recovery. READ MORE . . .

   

FROM MARCH 16  Hamas says it will only release American-Israeli hostage if ceasefire deal is implemented, by Samy Magdy | AP  CAIRO — Hamas said Saturday it will only release an American-Israeli and the bodies of four other hostages if Israel implements their ceasefire agreement, calling it an “exceptional deal” aimed at getting the truce back on track. READ MORE . . .

–   –   –

Why are the Israel-Hamas ceasefire talks stuck? Reported by Daniel Estrin and Aya Batrawy | NPR  TEL AVIV / DUBAI — Arab mediators are working to secure a ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas after weeks of concerted U.S. involvement, including secret direct talks with the group. Efforts are stuck at the same . . . Click HERE to listen and read.

–   –   –

FROM MARCH 16  Thousands of children have been wounded in Gaza. We catch up with one of them. Reported by Rob Schmitz and Anas Baba | NPR  NPR producer Anas Baba reunites with Nimer sadi al nimer, a 12 year old boy who was shot by Israeli forces in Gaza last year. Click HERE to listen and read.

.

 

Ukraine, 3-17-25

For today, links to seven reports: from the Kyiv Independent, the Associated Press, Reuters, Agence France-Presse, Kyiv Post, and Tass, and to an article of commentary from Substack via ScheerPost; others or at least headlines for others are accessible by clicking on their names or initials below. (IRAN, SYRIA, WEST BANK, LEBANON and GAZA entries for this date are HERE, HEREHEREHERE and HERE, or scroll up.  UKRAINE 3-16-25 entry is HERE, or scroll down.) — MCM

   

Zelensky signs law permitting Ukrainian troops to operate abroad during martial law, by Tim Zadorozhnyy | The Kyiv Independent  President Volodymyr Zelensky has signed a law allowing Ukraine’s Armed Forces to be sent abroad during martial law, according to an official decree published today. The law aims to enhance defense cooperation . . . READ MORE . . .

   

Putin and Trump will speak on Tuesday about war in Ukraine, Kremlin confirms, by Chris Megerian | AP WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said he would speak to Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday as he pushes to end the war in Ukraine. READ MORE . . .  Click HERE for report from Reuters.

   

FROM MARCH 16  U.S. hints at Ukraine concessions ahead of Trump-Putin call. From AFP. U.S. officials on Sunday expressed optimism that a Ukraine-Russia ceasefire deal could be reached in “weeks,” but also hinted strongly that Ukraine will likely have to make some major concessions if a deal is to be reached. READ MORE . . .

   

Russia seeks civilian monitors in Ukraine as part of peace deal. From Kyiv Post. Russia doesn’t want potential peace agreement monitors in Ukraine to be armed. Also, according to Russian media, for a peace agreement, Ukraine should be “neutral” and . . . READ MORE . . .

   

FROM MARCH 16  Russia says evacuated over 350 civilians from retaken areas in Kursk Region. From AFP. Russia on Sunday said it has moved to safety 371 of its civilians from areas it retook from Ukrainian forces in its border Kursk region. They had become . . . READ MORE . . .

   

EU approves payment of 3.5 bln euros to Kiev as part of macrofinancial assistance program. From Tass. BRUSSELS — The Council of the European Union has approved the payment of 3.5 billion euros to Ukraine under a macrofinancial assistance program known as the Ukraine Facilty, according to a statement. “With this third disbursement . . . READ MORE . . .

–   –   –

FROM MARCH 14  Collapsing empire: ‘NATO is dead, by Kit Klarenberg | Substack / ScheerPost  On March 3, Timothy Ash of elite British state-connected ‘defence’ think tank Chatham House made a series of startling proclamations in an interview with Bloomberg — following the very public Feb. 28 Oval Office fallout between Volodomyr Zelensky and Donald Trump. READ MORE . . .

.